Monday, October 13, 2014

The DS415+

The DS415+ has just been released by Synology. Sadly it can't run DSM 5.1b yet but it can still run a few of the new DSM apps that are not usually available in the package-center. The problem is that the old apps are not adjusted for this new architecture yet, however, existing x86 apps (For example, DS412+) can still run on your DS415+ with some modifications.
This is how I do it on my Windows PC for the DS415+:
1) Install 7-zip
2) Download the latest x86-package(.spk) for your package you'd like to install.
3) Open the file in Windows Explorer using 7-zip (7-zip/Open)
4) Locate the file "INFO". Right click on it, select "edit".
5) INFO is a plain textfile. Locate a line where it says something similar like this:
arch="x86 bromolow cedarview"
manipulate it to look like this:
arch="x86 bromolow cedarview avoton"
Save it and make sure it updates the archive.
6) Pick "Manual installation" in the package center and pick your modified .spk-archive.
The .spk-file is just a TAR-file btw.
This method usually works. However, sometimes DSM complains about the fileformat. Then decompress the entire .spk-file to your harddrive and manually edit the "INFO"-file with "Wordpad" (Notepad fails for me sometimes), and then create a new tar archive with 7-zip and rename it to .spk instead of .tar.
This method works on several different packages I've tried that are not yet available for the DS415+ (Plex, CloudSync, Transmission (sort of), Proxy Server etc.) It has worked for me, but it's still a bit "hackish" so you do this on your own risk.

4 comments:

  1. Grats on your new NAS! I'm thinking about upgrading my DS412+ aswell :) Is the DSM interface faster on the new CPU?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, can't say I have noticed any special speedincrease in the GUI. I think it depends more on the browser. I have however noticed some speedincrease with filecopying and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is the 415+ holding up with DSM 6 in 64bit code? (I'm thinking of upgrading from my comparatively ancient DS 212+, and wondering if I should get the 64 bit 415+ or wait longer for a 416+).

    ReplyDelete
  4. DSM 6 works fine on my DS415+, no issues whatsoever

    ReplyDelete