Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Plex and hibernation

Plex is a bit infamous for preventing hibernation on a Synology NAS. The Plex team has missed this for probably a few years now for some reason. Anyway it can be fixed with a workaround. Plex recently changed their filelayout, but try to locate this file on your NAS: /volume1/@appstore/Plex Media Server/Resources/Plug-ins-7f37aa9/System.bundle/Contents/Code/storeservice.py Open it with your favourite texteditor (I've configured "Config File Editor" in DSM to be able to open it) and locate the row: Thread.CreateTimer(300, self.auto_update_thread) Change it so it looks like this: # Thread.CreateTimer(300, self.auto_update_thread) Now hibernation works again!

6 comments:

  1. I had plex installed on my machine and I had to reset it and restore the config from backup. Therefore I shouldn't have still had plex (I lost all my applications) and yet my Synology 415+ refused to hibernate. I found the file you mentioned in another folder (used find to locate it) and made the change, rebooted my Synology and voila! I have hibernation. Thank you very, very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's extremly odd that they haven't fixed this, it has been known for along while. Anyway, I'm happy that I could help you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I am facing the same problem I would like to try your fix but I couldn't find the (storeservice.py) file.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "Plug-ins-7f37aa9"-part seems to differ between Plex-installations. Check for another folder with similar name "Plug-ins-XXXX.."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. This works fine... until you actually use Plex in any way - then no sleep until NAS reboot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So all this fix does is prevent Plex from starting at powerup, it does nothing to provide what everyone wants.

    ReplyDelete