Wednesday, August 3, 2016

How to downgrade DSM firmware

I was bored of that phpVirtualbox refused to work on DSM 6.0.1 so I tried downgrade the firmware to DSM 6.0. The following procedure worked for me without data-loss. However be sure to backup your stuff and do this on your own risk. I got this from Synology forum and I've slightly changed it. The downgrade process complained about Plex and BTSync wasn't compatible with DSM 6.0 but all I had to do was to shut then down before the upgrade and then turn them on again afterwards and everything worked fine.

Use Putty, and SSH login to your NAS using the ADMIN account.

Enter the command "SUDO SU", press enter. Enter password .. the one for your ADMIN account

You now have "root" status, if everything went well.

With root status you can edit /ect.defaults/VERSION
(Enter "VI /ect.defaults/VERSION")
Change content to something just prior to the version you wish to downgrade to ..

Example:

majorversion="5"
minorversion="2"
buildphase="hotfix"
buildnumber="5640"
smallfixnumber=3
builddate=2015/12/17
buildtime="18:26:46"

Save, exit Putty, Visit DSM-upgrade panel ..

4 comments:

  1. Thanks you very much,
    Muchísimas gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm downgrading for exactly the same reason. 6.0.2 doesn't support VirtualBox, so needed to downgrade. Have followed your instructions and am downgrading as I type this. Thanks very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also worth noting that you cannot downgrade with VirtualDSM installed and the NAS being in a cluster. I have had to remove the NAS from a cluster 'node' and uninstall VirtualDSM, which kinda makes perfect sense really.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant thank you, I had to login via SSH as root not admin on a DS207+, and you have a typo it is
    "VI /etc.defaults/VERSION not - "VI /ect.defaults/VERSION
    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete