Monday, November 21, 2016

Delete all your local backupjobs!

Almost since the first day I got my NAS I faced a new problem.. How should I backup all my precious data on my NAS? I currently have (had) a few local backupjobs to backup important folders (for versioning) and to a remote server in case of theft/house burns down/whatever. Anyway, I just discovered that using snapshots (on BTRFS-volumes) is pretty convenient to use instead of HyperBackup. You can configure it to make a snapshot at certain intervals so it works almost like HyperBackup but works alot faster. The drawback is of course that the UI of the "Snapshot Replicator"-tool is not that attractive but it simply lists all your snapshots so you can go back in time to see how your folder looked at a specific time.

2 comments:

  1. Could you elaborate further on snapshots with btrfs I've got a 216 + and use hyperbackup for every day backups. How specifically have you set it up?

    Thanks good blog BTW.

    Ezekiel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for your feedback! :)
    Use the "Snapshot replication" DSM-app to schedule the amount of snapshots you want each day. Make sure the setting "make snapshots visible" is enabled to enable a "#snapshot" folder which allows you to browse your files back in time.

    ReplyDelete